Government Admits To Exaggerating Accident Statistics
Sep29

Government Admits To Exaggerating Accident Statistics

Lies, damned lies and statistics. That’s the phrase that springs to mind on the news that the Department for Transport has been using out-of-date accident statistics in the recent Think! anti-speeding campaign. The campaign claimed that if a child was hit by a car travelling at 40mph there was an 80 percent chance of them dying, while if the speed was 30mph then the chances of death were reduced to 20 percent. What wasn’t...

Read More
Speeding Motorists Pay Record Fines
Jul11

Speeding Motorists Pay Record Fines

Any idea how much money was raised by speed cameras between 2008 and 2009? Well, thanks to the release of some goverment stats the total figure is now known to be a whopping £87m. At the same time the decline in casualties has reduced – we’re having fewer accidents than we were but the reduction in numbers is slower than it was before speed cameras were introduced in 1990. This all strengthens the argument that speed...

Read More
Watch Out For New Speed Camera Vans
May24

Watch Out For New Speed Camera Vans

If you’re driving through Bedfordshire then keep an eye out for their new speed camera vans. Called “Command Vans” they have four cameras that cover the front, sides and back, rather than just at the rear as with traditional speed vans. There are currently four vans in use, each of which was converted at a cost of £28,000. The vans allow a single operator to monitor traffic for up to a kilometre in each direction,...

Read More
‘Intelligent’ Speed Cameras Coming Soon
Oct27

‘Intelligent’ Speed Cameras Coming Soon

Soon there’ll be no escape from speed cameras. We’ve already got the dreaded SPECS cameras measuring our average speed, and now there’s a new ‘intelligent’ speed camera that could be rolled out onto the UK’s roads within the next 18 months. A greater threat to our licenses than the common Gatso, these new cameras don’t flash, they can cover multiple lanes at once and they can distinguish...

Read More
Speed Camera Boss Banned For Speeding
May06

Speed Camera Boss Banned For Speeding

It’s been a bad week for Tom Riall, one of the chief executives at a company called Serco. He has just received a six month driving ban for being caught speeding at 102.92 mph while travelling along the A14, a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit. He was also fined £300 and ordered to pay £46 court fees and a £15 victim surcharge. The irony? Serco is a services company responsible for installing and maintaining many of the speed...

Read More
Nearly Half Of All Speed Cameras Are Switched Off
Jan05

Nearly Half Of All Speed Cameras Are Switched Off

If you drive regularly on the UK roads there must have been a time when you’ve spotted a speed camera at the last second, hit the brakes and waited for the tell-tale flash in the rear-view mirror. Well, it turns out that there’s a good chance that the flash wouldn’t have gone off no matter how fast you were travelling. Police have admitted a significant number of the UK’s fixed Gatso speed cameras are switched...

Read More

Pin It on Pinterest