2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C
If you’re a Subaru fan then you’ll know that the release of a new Impreza WRX STI Spec C is something to get excited about.
The Spec C is a lighter, more hardcore version of the WRX STI. It has more power and less weight, and is much more than a quick ECU upgrade.
There is, of course, a reprogrammed ECU but the engineers at Subaru Tecnica International didn’t stop there. The turbocharger has been fitted with smoother ball bearings to allow for more boost and quicker throttle response, and as a result power is up to 304 bhp and 311 lb-ft of torque. There’s also a water-spray for the intercooler, with a handy button to activate it on the centre console
Weight has been reduced by fitting a lighter aluminium bonnet, plastic windows and smaller battery, and even the spare wheel has been ditched in favour of a puncture repair kit. The suspension has been retuned and the chassis reinforced, and the new rims are wrapped in sticky Bridgestone Potenza RE070 rubber. Hanlding is further improved by replacing the old Torson-style rear LSD with a new mechanical LSD.
Sadly the Spec C will be limited to just 900 units, but even worse news is that the car is for the Japanese market only. Look out for the specialist importers to get their hands on a few, but the Spec C is going to be a very rare sight on the road.
For the full list of changes check out the press release below.
FHI to introduce the Subaru Impreza WRX STI spec C
Tokyo, July 23, 2009 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches the “Subaru Impreza WRX STI spec C”, a new addition to the current WRX STI line-up. The model goes on sale today through Subaru dealerships in Japan.
Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the iconic sport model of Subaru, the WRX STI spec C model features enhanced engine and chassis performance as well as a lighter body on the premise of driving in motor sports. The model further strengthens its presence in the high performance car arena by offering sheer excitement and unique driving sensations as a distinctive road sport model, in line with the performance level originally delivered by the Impreza WRX STI.
The turbocharger newly adopted ball bearings for the turbine axle bearing, and the ECU (Engine Control Unit) program was also exclusively tuned. Thus the engine of the spec C model provides quicker response and improved accelerating performance. Thanks to its specially designed front & rear suspensions and improved body rigidity, the chassis offers stable and linear driving control even in marginal driving conditions. The adoption of an aluminum engine hood, laminar window glasses and a downsized battery resulted in a lighter body, which further polishes the model’s driving performance.
Subaru enhanced the WRX STI line-up by introducing this STI spec C model, in addition to the STI A-Line pet meds keppra 750 online sales model, the AT version introduced in February this year.
Outline of Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C
Enhancement of Engine performance:
- Ball bearings of the turbine axle were newly adopted to reduce friction in the turbocharger. With the optimized ECU programming, the engine offers smoother and quicker response to the accelerator pedal and excellent accelerating performance.
- An inter-cooler water spray prevents rise in intake-air temperature at continued high-load driving, providing stable engine performance and improved efficiency.
Enhancement of Chassis performance:
- Reinforcement of the cross member in front-suspensions offers a linear steering response.
- Specification changes in damping force of suspensions, coil spring rate, rear stabilizer and rear sub-frame bushes optimize rigidity for body roll and retain excellent road-holding capability.
- Rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) system was changed to a mechanical type from a Torsen type to obtain the steady and powerful traction during cornering.
- Bridgestone “POTENZA RE070” (245/40R18) were adopted to enhance cornering ability and higher grip performance, especially in dry conditions.
- Nimble handling with a firm steering feel is assured by increasing oil flow volume in the power steering system.
- An aluminum engine hood and a downsized battery, which make the front section of the vehicle lighter, produce better maneuverability.
- Laminar glasses were adopted in the front and side windows. They lightened the upper section of the body weight, resulting in improved stability during cornering.
- Newly-designed lightweight 18-inches alloy wheels are standard to offer excellent road-hugging property by reducing unsprung weight. (17-inches alloy wheels are optional)
- A flat tire repair kit is standard, which also helps weight reduction.
- A structural change of fuel pomp provides stable fuel delivery even on high-load driving.
- Gold colored “brembo” brake calipers are standard.
- The front bucket seats (fabric with red stitch) are standard on models with 18-inches alloy wheels.
- The “RECARO” seats (Alcantara and leather combination with red stitch) are optional on models with 18-inches alloy wheels.
- Two exclusive exterior colors are available; Sunrise Yellow and Pure White.
- The production is limited to 900 units.
- Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
- Displacement: 1,994 cc
- Maximum output: 227kW (308 PS)/6,400 rpm
- Maximum torque: 422 Nm (43.0 kgf·m)/4,400 rpm
- Turbo type: Ball-bearing type twin scroll turbocharger
About Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, is a leading manufacturer in Japan with a long history of technological innovations that dates back to its origin as an aircraft company. While the automotive business is a main business pillar, FHI’s Aerospace, Industrial Products and Eco Technologies divisions offer a diverse range of products from general-purpose engines, power generators, and sanitation trucks to small airplanes, crucial components for passenger aircrafts, and wind-powered electricity generating systems. Recognized internationally for its AWD (all-wheel drive) technology and Horizontally-Opposed engines in Subaru, FHI is also spearheading the development of environmentally friendly products and is committed to contributing to global environmental preservation.